Create a Roku Developer Account
1. Make a Roku Account
- Page 1 of account creation is straightforward. Supply the requested information and click Continue.
- Page 2 asks you to setup a PIN. This is like an ATM pin; make this anything you’d like that is memorable. Write it down. This is used for making purchases within Roku. Do not send this PIN to Vimeo.
- Page 3 asks for credit card or PayPal information. Again, this is used for purchasing items within Roku, and has no bearing on your Developer account setup. You'll only be charged if you use this information to purchase content on your Roku device.
- After creating your account, click your name in the top right, click “Developer Site”, and then continue below.
2. Enroll for a Developer Account
Now you’ll need to enroll for a developer account. It will ask you if you want to enroll as an Individual or an Organization. Choose Organization.
3. Enroll in Roku Partner Payouts Program
Click here to enroll in the Payouts Program.
4. Invite Vimeo to your account
Vimeo will need access to your account to manage your app. Click here to manage user access within your Roku account.
- Click Add a user
- Enter the following information:
- Email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Roles: Administrator
- Organization: Vimeo
- Click Create
5. Connect to a physical Roku device
Next, please connect your new Developer Account to a physical Roku device. This is a hard requirement from Roku that we cannot circumvent. If you do not own a Roku, you must purchase one and pair it with your new Developer account.
6. Verify your account
You'll need to verify your account before Vimeo can upload an app into your account. The only way to do this is to go through the first few steps of creating an app. You won't be creating the actual app listing — just a placeholder.
- From the developer dashboard, click Manage My Channels.
- Click Add a channel
- On the next screen, choose Developer SDK and Non-certified. This makes this app entirely private. Choose a name that is unique and is not your actual app name. It can be literally anything that's not already a real Roku app and will not be seen by customers or the public. Click Continue.
- You don't need to complete anything on the following page. Click the Properties dropdown and then choose Package Upload.
- You'll now see a prompt to verify your account. Click the button to send yourself a verification email. Go to your email and click through the link provided. Now, if you navigate back to the app listing you just created and go back to the Package Upload screen, you'll now see you have the ability to upload a package (instead of the verification prompt). You don't need to take any further action.
Once you’re done with all of the above, you’re all set! Vimeo will now have access to your developer account and can directly assist in setting up your In-App Subscription products.